As I write this Hillary has extremely slim chances of winning with talk of a tie possible, but with a Trump victory 95% likely, I think it is safe to say that this is over.
I really fear for America, especially minority citizens, such as black people, immigrants, women and the LGBT community. Already there have been reports that the Canadian immigration website has crashed with people looking at how to cross the boarder. I don't blame those people! If I was a US citizen I think I would be doing the same.
Lets just step back and assess the person who will probably be the President:
- He has been endorsed by the KKK and accepted it.
- He has been abusive towards women, called them pigs and got knows what else.
- He has a proven track record of being detrimental towards women.
- He brands all Muslims as terrorists and wants them banned from entering the United States.
- He brands Mexicans rapists and drug dealers and wants to build a wall between the two countries.
- He has openly mocked disabled people.
- He has incited violence at his rallies and even suggested Hillary Clinton should be shot.
- He has openly admitted to avoiding paying federal income tax and won't publish his tax returns.
YET, after all of that, Donald J. Trump will still become the next US President. To me. As a level headed, reasonable human being is absolutely insane, it baffles me to no end that America, as a country, have voted for this man. Hillary is not perfect but when you weigh up her ability to be President and his there is no contest.
This has turned into a rant but I just honestly can't believe that this has happened. Brexit shocked me when 52% voted Leave but this is something else. A part of me wants to switch off from this and just say "you deserve what you get America" but we have to be there in solidarity for those who didn't vote for this, who will ultimately be the ones who will suffer as a result.
Tonight could have been such a different night, America could have shown itself as an outward looking country, finally with a female leader, but instead they opted for isolation and business as usual. Trump is not a revolution. He is not a man of the people, he's a greedy businessman, from the World of reality TV. His supporters will eventually wake up but by then it will all be too late.
Maybe Clinton will still win? Maybe it will be a tie? I will keep hanging out to that little bit of hope, but one things for sure: I'm not getting any sleep until I know the outcome.